This post is intended as a little cheat sheet to help you keep track of the characters in Gunota Girl. I’ll try to keep this up-to-date with newly introduced characters weekly.
Almost every character in the series is actually a reference to a character from one of the Gundam series, though many of them are gender-swapped. Here’s a handy cheat sheet for who’s who:
- Ganota herself is, of course, the mighty Char Aznable.
- Makabe is M’Quve, as evinced by her love of ceramic vases and infatuation with Kishiri.
- Uraga, Makabe’s right-hand lady, is M’Quve’s subordinate Uragan.
- Kishiri Asahi is Kycilia Zabi, although his relationship with Dekwin/Degwin Zabi has been changed.
- Furi Arisu, Makabe and Uraga’s drinking buddy and Kira-obsessed Gundam SEED fanatic, is Flay Allster, whom I will no doubt be flamed incessantly for loving. BRING IT ON.
- Namba Nal, president of Blue Electronics, is Ramba Ral. The “blue” part is, obviously, for the color of Ramba Ral’s Gouf.
- Carla Zabi is the ill-fated Garma Zabi. She’s even dating the mayor’s son, who’s meant to be Garma’s lover Icelina Eschonbach.
- Dekwin Zabi, CEO of Zum, Inc., Kishiri’s uncle and Carla’s father, is of course Degwin Zabi, the ruler of Zeon during the One Year War.
- Cicero, Kishiri’s brother, is the easily forgettable Cicero Zabi.
- Totzle Zabi, the vice-president, is the imposing, scar-faced Dozle Zabi.
- Mokren Zabi, the company president, is Gihren Zabi. Sieg Zeon!
- Lala Asuo is, of course, Lalah Sune, in adorable (and vicious!) child form.
- Towa, Kishiri’s subordinate who was struck by Ganota’s phone in chapter 1 and left in Hong Kong by Kishiri, is modeled after this fellow, Gihren Zabi’s chief of staff.
- The old fellow who sells Ganota model kits in chapter 2 is supply ship captain Gadem.
- The kids Makabe sees playing early in chapter 3 are Heero Yuy, Duo Maxwell and Relena Peacecraft, from Gundam Wing (I think I can see a bit of Trowa Barton’s hair there, too). Auriga points out that on the previous page, Zechs Merquise, Chang Wufei and Quatre Raberba Winner are also visible alongside Trowa and Duo, and their team appears to be named the “Wings.”
- Two of the engineers working on the Gun Navi are based on Clamp and Cozun Graham, although the other 3 are strangely nameless.
- Ganota’s “Elite Guard” aren’t specifically modeled after any characters, but one of them refers to himself as Wong Lee, and actually does look quite a bit like him.
- “Black.” This was only mentioned briefly in one line, and we can think of at least half a dozen characters this could refer to. The literal translation of the line is “The black (one)!”
- The “undercover Miharu,” who wants to be called “Ichimaru Nana,” is Miharu Ratokie. Her codename is “107,” which, in the manga, was written as a name: Ichi-Maru (1-0) Nana (7).